OH MY GOSH there is more like me???

Share your ice chewing stories.

OH MY GOSH there is more like me???

Postby jamierenae » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:19 pm

WOW i can't believe there is more like me?
I am also very anemic from heavy periods been chewing ice for approx. 7 yrs now! Its sooo addictive i cant stop. Sometimes when i get my iron anemia under control it seems to be a bit better but for most part i chew all day and nite and I ususally have too ice cold hands AND feet.

Has anyone ever heard that it will damage our tooth enamel?

Glad i found this club :-)
Manu
jamierenae

An AMAZING Revelation

Postby buyingaddict » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:40 pm

I have been an avid ice chewer for many years - always with a preference for smaller cubes, crushed ice or slush. Many have thrown out the sexual frustration innuendo (and part of me always wondered if that was true). My obsession with ice has had me buying bags of ice from the store for years because I can buy "nuggets" that are smaller than cubes. During winter months I would go through 1-2 bags per week. During the summer months about 2-3 bags per week. I always thought it was just an odd habit or personal preference.

I have had VERY severe anemia for at least 8 years and have been anemic my entire life. Even when I took iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. in mega doses I could not get anywhere near normal. I recently had an iron infusion via IV where I sat with chemo patients. It took 7 hours from beginning to end. There is a fairly high risk of severe side effects but I was fortunate and did not have any. The infusion should last between 4-12 months and then I will need it again.

6 weeks later I had my first follow up with the hematologist. My iron was at normal levels for the first time in my post puberty life. The hematologist asked if I felt any differences since the infusion. I said that I only noticed that I wasn't yawning as much during the day. He asked if I had any food cravings or if my dietary habits had changed at all since the infusion. At first I said no. Then he asked if I was ever an ice chewer. I look at him with disbelief and told him that I was. He asked if I had noticed any change and I was amazed that I hadn't noticed. I had only gone through 2 bags of ice in 6 weeks and only to make my beverages cold. I had not even realized the radical change but when I thought about it, I realized that I had "tried" to chew the remaining ice in my drinks several times but it actually felt a little uncomfortable. For the most part, ice in my drinks eventually melted wheras before my infusion, every cube or chip would be gone and I'd get another drink loaded with ice.

I asked the Dr. if they knew why anemia caused ice chewing and he said that they did not but that it was a very common symptom. I was amazed to know that I had had this "symptom" for years and NEVER knew it was associated with iron deficiency. I realize that I had never asked a doctor and just accepted it as personal preference.

Like many here, I'm glad to have found the source of the behavior AND to know that I am not alone.
buyingaddict

Return to Stories