Talk about obssessed!!!!

Share your ice chewing stories.

Talk about obssessed!!!!

Postby brizee77 » Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:23 pm

It seems like I finally have someone to relate to. Every one I know gives me a hard time about my ice habit. Some because they can't stand the sound and others because they say it's bad for me. I have read almost all these posts and it all sounds familiar. From the best types of ice to places to get it to the amount I consume in a day.

My personal favorite is from a GE Profile fridge. I rented a house that had a water softener and that exact fridge. It has a quick ice feature and a built in water filter. The whole cube came out white and soft. It was the best especially if you got it out as soon as it fell from the ice- maker. Even in quick mode it couldn't keep up with me.

I have also found that the old style metal ice trays make very good crunching ice. It has a better taste than plastic trays and also freezes mostly white. They are kinda hard to find and I suggest searching online it you want to try some. I had one at work that came with a mini fridge that my manager bought. When I moved I traded him a $40.00 toaster oven for it. Desperate huh!!

Speaking of work I used to empty my icemaker every morning into a plastic trash bag and put it in a cooler to transport my ice so that I always had a supply. I have also answered the phone many times at work with my mouth numb.. hehehe.

I have gotten so picky that I can't stand Ice out of bags or from resturants unless it is pellet ice like so many of you talk about. My GE Profile fridge had pettet ice beat though.

I can also understand those of you who say you love the smell of a freezer and the frost from frozen boxes.... I also cringe at thinking of the germs though. Glad to know I'm not the only one that has to stop myself from eating it.

One thing no one mentioned though is fresh snow. That is really the best. I hate winter but I love to eat the snow when it first falls. It is the best and that is how I usually explain why I like some ice better than other types. I simply say it is like the difference between Fresh Snow and an Icicle. The snow is softer and easier to chew..... Plus it flakes in your mouth..... YUM!!!!!

I have also gotten my daughter ice cruching as well. I hope she's not as obsessed as me.... Later on I don't want her teased for it all the time.

For those of you wondering about the iron thing. Yes I do have low iron levels. Question is which is the cause and which is the effect..........
Do you crave the ice due to low iron levels or does eating alot of ice cause your iron level to drop???

Regardless I guess I am glad to know that others have the same issues.

Happy Crunching.....
brizee77

Other effects on the body

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:06 pm

I am an ice eater...it started about 3 months ago and now I go through about 5 bags a week at home and who knows how many cups at work each day. My question is: does chewing and eating so much ice each day have any effect on your throat, esphogas, stomach, etc. The cold can not be good for the tissues in these organs. I just wonder what damage we could be doing to our insides.

Any thoughts?

Postby Icechujunk-e » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:06 am

A while back I tried doing my own internet research on the effects of ice chewing because so many people kept telling me it was a habit I needed to break quickly. There were always comments about the possible health risks and most importantly the damage to my teeth.

Having worked for a large dental corporation, I quickly became aware that ice chewing could possibly cause some damage, but would that stop my addiction? Nope. Not even the fact that I got earfuls and earfuls about my habit from dentists on a day to day basis. One dentist used to joke and tell me, "Might as well take a chisel to your teeth and hammer away"! Couldn't get any clearer than that I guess, fortunate for me I haven't encountered any problems and I hope I never do.

Anyway, getting back to my internet findings, I was surprised that there was not much out there to find. There isn't very much that's known in regards to the effects of chewing ice and the most common symptoms referenced are iron deficiency, anemia, and damage to your teeth.

As for your post "Brizee77" and knowing which is the cause and effect to low iron levels, I think that's a mystery that will remain unsolved much longer than we think. Although, in my search for answers I did come across one or two articles on studies relating to "Pagophagia" a form of Pica. (For those of you that may not already know "Pagophagia" is the compulsive eating of ice.) In the studies done, the conflicting results did not allow researchers to draw any specific conclusion regarding the association between iron deficiency, anemia or Pagophagia. There is however, a greater percentage that offers strong support of iron deficiency as a cause, rather than a result.

Until then, I would assume one will continue to use their own judgment in regards to their health and visit their physician if any serious conditions arise, especially when it comes to anemia.
"When all else fails, chew some ice!"
Icechujunk-e

Postby iceloverone » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:44 pm

Icechujunk-e:

So, I've been doing a little research on the effects of ice chewing also (of course) and here's what I've been reading a little about. Chewing ice or drinking really cold drinks can interfere with digestion because it supresses gastric secretions. The advice on the website that I went to said that really cold liquids should not be taken with food ( I always chew ice after I eat) and a person should wait a half hour after eating to drink cold things. Or after drinking something cold wait a half hour to eat.

Well, if this is true, that would mean that all my years of ice chewing may have resulted in poor digestion. And poor digestion would mean that i'm not getting the full nutritional value of my food , which could result in an iron deficiency. Just a theory.
iceloverone

Postby brizee77 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:29 pm

So it could bossily be the cause instead of the effect after all. It does seem like my stomach bothers me at times when I have been eating more than my usual tons of ice a day. Some days I can't seem to put a cup down all day. Then I do seem to get stomach cramps but I always just thought it was the cold........ Who Knows?....... I love this site though..... I don't feel quite as crazy as my friends make me out to be....... Thanks Guys....
brizee77

Postby brizee77 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:30 pm

*Possibly....... Sorry for the major spelling error.....
brizee77

Postby iceloverone » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:38 pm

I'm not sure if it's the initial cause but chewing ice probably makes it worse. I'm going to try to not chew ice while i eat and see what happens. I would say try not to chew ice at all but i think that's impossilbe for me.
iceloverone

Postby Icechujunk-e » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:17 am

Iceloverone, your theory does make sense. I also chew ice right after eating, but then again before eating too. And as brizee77, every once in a while a feel a stomach cramp, but I never related it to my ice chewing. I'll make sure to think about the next cup of ice I chew before or after my next meal.

As for giving up the habit completely, well doubt that will happen anytime soon.
"When all else fails, chew some ice!"
Icechujunk-e

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:23 pm

I can live with a few stomach cramps now and then..... I don't think I could live without my ice.......Not only would I be extremly unhappy, but I think I would gain a hundred pounds if I stopped chewing ice. I like ice way better than sweets but if I don't have ice I seem to want junk food. So I always keep ice...... Lots and Lots of it.........
Enjoy........

Postby icegirl » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:39 am

omg...i just goggled chewing ice cause well, i was wondering if doing this
is a sign of some sickness. anyway, i find this site and ppl saying things
about ice that i thought only i felt.

now i am not like doing bags and bags of ice a day or a week. but when i have a drink of juice or pop, i fill my glass with ice and pour my drink in,
usually its mostly ice.

this started on a trip to the west indies last year, the villa we rented had a whirlpool refrigerator with of course the ice maker. now the islands are
very hot and i don't know how this happened but i was getting a drink and just filled the glass up with shaved ice. i started to drink then i realized the juice was done but lots of ice remained. well i put my glass down went about my business and returned to the balcony, where the glass was still sitting on a little table that was out there. i slurped the
water that had formed in the glass from the left over ice and low and
behold some ice went in my mouth. thus began my ice chewing
addiction.

the ice felt so cool and tasty in my mouth, especially with the rest of
my body being so warm from the island heat. for the whole week
we were there i ate ice like every chance i got.

then i arrived back home. and started indulging but mostly when i have
my normal drink. i feel badly because even my little poodle has gotten into the habit. everytime she hears the ice maker she runs over to the
refrigerator.

i do not like ice cubes just crushed or shaved ice. funny my gums or teeth do not hurt or cramp up. anyway, i think i am gonna start taking
some iron I'm a spammer who can't get a job. Also, our product sucsk - don't buy from us. cause thats the only info i got about ice chewing, that i
might be lacking iron and being a female this maybe so,

anyway....i will be checking on this site occasionally. thanks for the outlet :wink:

please vote nov 2.....jfk
icegirl

singer

Postby iceorbust » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:05 pm

This is unbelievable. I can't believe I'm not alone in this. I am an avid ice chewer. But I'm also a singer, and I think it may be affecting my voice in a bad way. I am about to quit cold turkey. Hope it works.
iceorbust

Postby cube-x » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:35 pm

I know that some of us are anemic out there and doctors suspect that ice-chewing is a symptom of anemia. But does anyone think that a bunch of us out there simply have an OCD? That it is simply behavioral and not chemical :?:
What do you all think? (cus i think i am not anemic)
cube-x

Return to Stories