First things first

Share your ice chewing stories.

First things first

Postby Jill67 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:08 am

Greetings Fellow Cruchers :D

I'm new here. I found this site while trying to research why I'm craving ice.

I've always liked ice, but I went nuts for it from 5 months pregnant til delivery with Baby #5. I was slightly anemic at the start of the pregnancy, but moreso by 7 mo. I couldn't take iron ( so I thought ) because of constipation, but at 7 mo, my ob. put me on Slow FE. It worked, but I did still want ice until I had the baby. ( I always took 2 glasses full of lovely little cubes everywhere I went, one glass for the way there and one for the way back. ) Then I forgot about it until the baby was about 21 mo old. When I started craving ice, I went right to my family Dr. who tested me for anemia. I was normal, but on the low end. He said to take 18 mg iron a day. I try to, but since it's not Slow FE ( 50 mg ) it disagrees with me, and I'm not good about taking it. Problem is Slow FE is too much...

The reason I said " first things first " was because anyone craving ice should run it by their family Dr. Iron can be toxic, so it's not good to self-medicate. Iron is in all kinds of food and added to a lot of stuff too, so taking a supplement w/o a Dr's OK may be bad for you. But if you need it, it's great. Just get in there and find out via a blood test.
Jill67

Return to Stories